• I would seriously consider it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would give it some consideration.

• No. It's a frivolous option for me.

• Don't know.

• Yes! It's absolutely essential! It should even be standard!

• Don't know.

• Don't know.

• Don't know.

• Don't know.

• I will only purchase a Passat TDI with my desired options available, or I would go to significant le

• It would have a great influence on the likelihood that I would purchase a Passat TDI.

• It would have a moderate influence on the likelihood that I would purchase a Passat TDI.

• I'm just happy we're getting a Passat TDI! Or, I'm indifferent to the available equipment with resp

• I don't know, or I am not at all likely to purchase a Passat TDI.

• Total voters

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
This year marks the reintroduction of the Passat TDI into the North American market after a seven year hiatus, prior to which 1997 was the last year of this model's availability, while it was still in its previous generation platform.

While this poll comes quite late, for some time TDICLUB members have been very vocal regarding the upcoming Passat TDI's availability of engine, transmission and equipment options to the North American market. This poll intends to gauge member sentiment about buying a Passat TDI, and what equipment they desire.

Hopefully this will be a spring board for testing the market for future Passat TDIs in the North America.

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
I am guessing this is where my "other" engine option is.

I would prefer the 1.9 TDI, NON-PD version in a Passat wagon. I could live with a slightly larger or PD engine, but I don't need the power, but really want the mileage of the smaller engine, and the space of the Passat.

Oh to have the Eurovan with the 1.9 or 2.0 TDI available in the US. Couldn’t it be brought in since it isn’t a passenger car in those 5 non-TDI states?

VW currently have NO option for 4 kids and two adults from VW, so I can’t buy VW since my wife wants 2 more kids /images/graemlins/wink.gif

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
Well just look at that 6spd manual go! Imagine that! DUH! but of course! Are the people at VW responsible for NOT offering a manual transmission in the new Passat for NA seeing this? Hello?

One thing very surprising is the DSG. [EDIT] OK.. it's caught & passed up the regular auto now)

I don't think anyone who votes for the Automatic even knows what DSG is, because if they did, they would surely vote for DSG. How can anyone who would vote for an Automatic transmission NOT vote for DSG?

The only reason I can think of is they don't even know what it is.

jpltdi

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
How can anyone who would vote for an Automatic transmission NOT vote for DSG?

[/ QUOTE ]

IF I were getting an automatic, it wouldn't make much difference to me. I don't want to think about shifting in an automatic; for God's sake that's why it's an automatic. The DSG is just a distraction with extra complexity.

Jerry

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 99(now sold), red, Passat Wagon, 04 (now sold), Stonehenge, 06 New Beetle, Salsa Red, 5 speed, 12 Passat SE, Opera Red
Given my experience with the NB TDI, it seems that the 2.0 should be fully adequate at 134 HP. I would not mind more power if it came without a pollution or milage penalty. It would have been nice to have the option of a manual tranny since the TDI's work so well with the VW manual.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can anyone who would vote for an Automatic transmission NOT vote for DSG?

[/ QUOTE ]

IF I were getting an automatic, it wouldn't make much difference to me. I don't want to think about shifting in an automatic; for God's sake that's why it's an automatic. The DSG is just a distraction with extra complexity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The DSG is actually a far simpler design than a conventional automatic, and comes very close to the performance of a standard manual transmission.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Great job Meister!
DSG would be the ONLY way I'll buy a new VW...
/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifHave to specify new cuz after owning a bug for a month along with my other 4, I may just have to find another one just so I can keep the TDI mechanics busy full Time /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
IF I were getting an automatic, it wouldn't make much difference to me. I

don't want to think about shifting in an automatic; for God's sake that's why it's an

automatic. The DSG is just a distraction with extra complexity.

[/ QUOTE ]

See what I mean? People don't even know what DSG is, & don't understand it. I also think people are confusing DSG with tiptronic. They're two completely different things.

[ QUOTE ]
DSG would be the ONLY way I'll buy a new VW...

[/ QUOTE ]

For me as well, if I opted for an automatic. Personally, DSG would be the ONLY automatic I would consider if buying a brand new TDI. I'd have to try it first, but if the 6-speed manual were also offered, I doubt I'd get a DSG, but I would have to try both first B-4 I made my mind up 4-sure.

I've talked to some who have driven DSG, & they claim it's absolutely amazingly smooth as silk, Lighting quick {AUTOMATIC} shifts & powerful like nothing they've ever experienced.

I've not spoken with anyone who's driven a TDI with DSG though.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I, for one, would prefer not to shift my own gears anymore. However, the efficiency loss involved with a torque converter is a show-stopper for me. Therefore I have voted for either the DSG or some type of CVT.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
A couple of things jump out from the poll so far.

1. Quite surprisingly, wagons are surpassing sedans by a good margin. Demographically, this says that those polled either have a growing family, or need the extra cargo capacity and practicality of a wagon.

2. Not surprisingly, at least for this enthusiast crowd, VWoA badly miscalculated the potential demand for the Passat TDI equipped with manual transmission. Even with the option to make two top choices, people chose one form of manual transmission or another (5-speed or 6) over the automatic by a whopping 3-to-1 margin (DSG excepted for this comparison). DSG was one of my options (the 6-speed manual was the other), but my selection was not wholly based on the merit of being able to shift by itself. Keep in mind that DSG is currently only available on VW Group's transverse engine layout. On the other hand, the Multitronic CVT is currently only available for the longitudinal engine layout and front wheel drive. It also bears to keep in mind that the current iteration of the B5.5 Passat is nearing the end of it's production cycle, and the next generation Passat, to be introduced in Europe for the 2005 model year, will revert to a transverse engine layout. VWAG has already hinted that DSG will be available on the new Passat, although North American availability is another matter entirely.

3. The poll also suggests that 4-cylinder TDI power is still most popular, even if the option exists for a 5- or 6-cylinder TDI. Very unusual of the North American market, IMHO. Fuel economy is apparently still paramount, and correspondingly to this end, the top choice for a 4-cylinder TDI probably mirrors the top choice for a manual transmission. Overwhelmingly, however, those polled want a 4-cylinder that is more up with the times technologically speaking (with a 16V head), and with higher power output. I guess we want to be able to have our cake and eat it, too! However, it should not be dismissed that there are significant votes for the inline-5 and V6 TDI as well. Again, bear in mind that with a transverse layout of the next generation Passat, a 90-degree V6 will not likely fit in the engine bay, making this option in the poll largely academic anyway. However, what it does illustrate is that customers want an available option for greater power.

4. Those polled WANT 4Motion!!! Fully 3/4s of responses ranged from giving 4Motion SOME consideration, to considering it ESSENTIAL. More than HALF said 4Motion was essential or that they would give SERIOUS consideration.

5. Most people want ESP! Only less than 15% said flatly that they did not want ESP or did not know. I think ABS gets those kinds of numbers... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. Navigation system is not a popular option.

7. Customers also overwhelmingly want an MFA (multi function indicator). At the time of this writing, less than 10% either flatly did not want an MFA or did not know.

8. Surprisingly, over 60% said they considered a Sport Package essential or would give it serious consideration. Only 17% said "No" or did not know. In keeping with the "Have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too" attitude, as practical and economy-minded as prospective Passat TDI buyers are, they want a vehicle that can also be fun and have a sporting character.

Summary: I left discussing the two remaining poll questions to the end, because this is where I see VW can either make right with the Passat TDI or blow it. About half of the respondents said they would be shopping for a Passat TDI WITHIN one year. But the other half said they will be considering the purchase of a Passat TDI after OVER one year, or have no fixed plan. This may not sound like what a company's market study wants to hear. However, IMO, this is time that VW is given, and MUST USE to the fullest possible extent, to get the product right with respect to giving customers what they want!!! More than 3/4 of respondents said either that they will ONLY consider buying a Passat TDI -- or their purchasing decision is greatly greatly influenced -- IF it has the equipment and options they desire. Well, the poll so far speaks volumes about what they (we) want.

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
1. Quite surprisingly, wagons are surpassing sedans by a good margin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, when you consider that there aren't a lot of options for fuel efficent larger vehicles. I also see far more Passat wagons on the road than Jetta wagons.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Not surprisingly, at least for this enthusiast crowd, VWoA badly miscalculated the potential demand for the Passat TDI equipped with manual transmission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think the key here is "this enthusiast crowd". I don't think the current release was really aimed at us. I think VW knows about us, but wants to find out how much of a market there is beyond us. 2004 is a toe in the water. I do think this poll is good for getting the word out about our feelings, tho.

Jason

pkemner

We wanted a tdi P-wagon back in 2000-2001, but couldn't find one used, so we settled for a new TDI Golf.

It's a mistake for VW to ignore the enthusiast market! After we got ours, my in-laws decided that they needed a TDI Golf too. And now my wife's stepsister just got a non-tdi Jetta. They would not have dreamed of test-driving VW's before riding in ours! This kind of networking among relatives, friends, and co-workers was probably a big factor in getting Americans to buy the original Beetles and Bulis, and corporate types ignore it at their peril.

I'm just not interested in buying any automatic-tranny VW, and I'm not interested in sedans either! The only automatic-equipped vehicle I will consider buying is a classic hearse or ambulance, and I'm actually looking at getting a manual-transmission hearse to add to my collection!

My 65 Combo and 66 Flower Car. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Nice poll, Fred. Believe me, I've tried doing them and they can be easily screwed up! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Perhaps make this thread sticky for a while at the top of this section? (It beats TTT'ing it to death). Just a thought. I'd be very interested to see a larger sampling.

~BG

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
Interesting... with 208 votes only 59% want manuals... says something for all the whining going on lately /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

<edit>: Er... nevermind... confusion in how the polls show results going on here...

WiscVWnut

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon '05 Beetle DSG 07 Passat Variant
Just talked to my local dealer today on when he is expecting the Passat, but during the conversation he made the comment that vw is stalling on these because of the fuel situation in the US. He said their engineers did not want the 2.0 over here until we had much better fuel. They are hoping that that will be the case by this summer. Don't know how true this is, but he is very knowlegable on the tdi issues. I know most of the people on this forum are carefull what fuel they put in their cars, but sounds like we will definitly have to use high cetane/low sulfur fuel and 505.01 oil in these cars.

Lug_Nut

TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I know what DSG is, I still prefer to not have to shift anything. Tiptronic? So what! Put it in D and leave it there. I don't intend to actually use the Tip side of the shifter anyways.
Any inline five would be smoother than any four, as smooth as the V6 even, without the accessibility and packaging issues. Lacking that possibility, I'd take the simplicity of the 134 hp head.
Nav system? Totally frivolous, then I needed one. I'd now consider it, but it won't be a deal breaker.
Traction control? Right foot and proper tires.
Sport package? Struts maybe, if VW used Bilstein. Springs? Not again. Tires? See above. Interior accessories? What, pedal covers? illuminated shifter knobs? Oh, please...

Mike6u1

Most Telling to the Marketing folks:
over 50% of the poll respondents have no plans to buy the vehicle of their dreams in the next 6 months.
Tire Kickers don't get to vote in the capitalist economy. Money talks, if so many people want 6 spd manual AWD passats (which are likely to price at 30-36k) and they are serious buyers, plunk down $1000 deposits at your dealer with a contract stating you wont take delivery of anything else....that is what REALLY drives the market-for every product. Nothing measures demand like real buyers with real money.

The best thing that would drive performance features into the passat would be a Toyota Camry Diesel, or Honda Accord diesel.

For me, I can't wait to replace my Golf with a larger car...but I'm also concerned about injector pressure with lousy fuel, bc they aint cheap to fix. I tend to side w/ the engineers, the currrent TDI works great, dont mess w/ success. Wish I could drop my TDI engine into a used 2002 Passat in an instant, with a 100k warranty.

KAROL

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Great poll!
Few days ago I exchanged e-mails with VW AG regarding Passat TDI and lack of manual trans as well as Touareg R5.
They say :no six speed,no to R5(That's from sales VW AG)
I think we should use this poll after it is done to pressure VW to bring Passat TDI 4Motion 6-speed to NA.
Their sales are sliding,they could do it.
The person in charge of Customer Relations at VW AG for
North America is the same person I spoke to six years ago
when they screwed us with Passat TDI the first time.
I would know where to send that poll to(up theirs)
I think we can do it!
In fact if bunch of us sent letters or e-mails to VW AG and
VW of America that we would purchase Passat TDI but only if the car was 6-speed and preferably with 4Motion we could get it.They (VW)are desperate,dealers are dead in sales.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It isn't that simple, but it certainly can't hurt.

I think options are important...allow a "base" model Passat to be marketed here. With even (gulp) manual windows /images/graemlins/eek.gif Make things optional, or part of a package so the car is more desirable and affordable to more people.

For instance, 4Motion. To me, in St. Louis, 4 wheel drive (or AWD) is useless and just a bunch of added weight to drag around and more to maintain. My Jettas go like crazy in any snow we ever get...and even that is at most 4 or 5 days out of the year.

Automatic transmissions, fine if that is what you want...I do not, I like shifting the gears myself.

Navigation? I can buy a map.

ESP and ABS? Nice, but I could live without...I have been so far.

6 speeds? Heck, I think my TDI would be fine with just 4...it has so much torque now I can spin the tires from a standing start in second!

What about a rubber floor mat and a vinyl seat? It'll wear like iron, be cheap to make, and totally child-proof (Kool-Aid, spit, barf, poop, all those fun things kids seem to get on the seats /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

If I could spec out my perfect Passat, it would be a 4 cylinder 16 valve TDI, 5 speed manual trans, manual windows/locks/sunroof, A/C (no Climatronic), station wagon body, rear wiper and defogger, 2 speaker XM stereo, rubber flooring and vinyl seats, silver painted steel wheels with a little center cap (remember the base Rabbits?), no keyless entry, alarm, etc. The car would sell for around 15 grand US, get 45 to 50 MPG and be super simple and reliable.

These were the kinds of cars Volkswagen used to offer, and they were really good cars known the world over for simplicity and robust mechanicals with no frills operation.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I know what DSG is, I still prefer to not have to shift anything...

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what DSG is, but you still prefer not to have to shift anything? Humm... Is this contradicting? Or is it just me?

Isn't that like saying " I know what a 6 speed manual transmission is, but I still prefer to shift my own gears?

Lug_Nut

TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The DGS <edit: Sorry, should be "DSG" as in Damned Stupid Gearing> is a preselector for manual gears. In third gear and accelerating, fourth gear input and output are engaged. It still takes driver input to cease the use of third and begin operation of fourth. THAT is the shifting to which I am refering.
And how does it "know" I'm continuing into fourth and not intending to downshift into (the un-meshed) second gear set?
Only two sets are in mesh at any time, the one in use and the transmission decided "next" set.
How does it tolerate the "Monday, Wednesday, Friday" shifting I often use in my current manual five speed? Can it accomodate skipped gears? How? 1st, 3rd, and 5th are in one set. Second, 4th and 6th in the other. Like the Chinese menu, you can have only one from A and one from B, not two from A.
I believe that it is an elegant solution in search of a problem. Great! Just what I need, TWO transmissions and clutches.

The full auto requires one driver input: "D".

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Respectfully Jon,

If you would do some extra research before spewing your ignorant last post, you will find that you are quite mistaken about DSG's capabilities. DSG in fact allows you operate the transmission just like a conventional automatic if the driver is so inclined; that is, throw the gear selector to "D", drive off, and don't think about it again until you park the car or need to reverse. When one orders a New Beetle with the 6-speed Tiptronic transmission, you are actually getting DSG /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I thought dslman was being rather harsh in his posts about people not knowing what DSG is, but I now see his point, and furthermore, I LEAST EXPECTED YOU of all people to be the one to illustrate that point!

While downshifts are handled less elegantly (because there is a momentary discontinuity of power as the transmission shifts out of the current gear and into a non-preselected gear), the control system automatically blips the throttle to rev-match engine RPM to transmission RPM. All this happens without ANY intervention whatsoever by the driver's part and quite seamlessly so. To a driver's sensation, not much different from a conventional automatic. If the driver specifically chooses to downshift by hitting the Tiptronic selector (in contrast to the automatic downshifting when slowing to a stop), the gearchange and rev-matching is still handled automatically.

DSG downshifts, while taking relatively longer than upshifts, still occur appreciably quicker than the best stick-shift drivers can manually row the gears. Besides, as a self-admitted person who would prefer just to stick the selector in "D", what do you care how downshifts are handled?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I submit that what you are demanding in a transmission (something that you can just stick in "D" and go; something that will accommodate your skip-shifting technique; and something that will read your mind to anticipate a downshift at YOUR will), is still a Star Trek technology and not something that can be remotely adequately be achieved by any kind of transmission available today, be it DSG, a conventional manual, conventional automatic, or something more exotic.

Reference reading for yours and others enlightenment:
http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/gearbox/tech_gear_manual.htm

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=nav...t+Shift+Gearbox

Again, with all due respect...

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! /images/graemlins/eek.gif Wholly Moley! I was typing up a very similar reply (but not quite as eloquently) everything you just said, then the phone rang, I came back, & well... you took everything I was going to say right out of my mouth... only better.

Amazingly well put.

See what I mean? I really feel there are a LOT more people out there who don't understand what DSG is. I believe a LOT of people are confusing DSG with Tiptronic (still) or they're somehow thinking DSG means you have to Directly Shift yourself.

Maybe they'll read your post & understand now.

I would still like a 6 spd manual, but I would love to try out a TDI with DSG, who knows, I may like it enough to change my mind, but I duno... for VW TDI, I would love to have a 6spd manual. I thought there was an aftermarket kit called option 6 which was like adding a 6th gear overdrive? or was that made only for the older 5spd transmissions? (older... as in almost pre TDI days)

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Can someone please explain the advantages of a 6-speed manual over a 5-speed manual transmission?

I find that I rarely use 5th gear unless I'm at sustained speeds of 60-65 or more.

Are the gears closer together on the 6-speed?
Is first gear a little more of a granny gear?

I have yet to be driving along and think to myself, "Gee, I wish there was another gear at point X. That would sure make driving more enjoyable."

What am I missing here?

Please enlighten me! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keli

KAROL

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Most of car 6-speeds have two overdrives something like
0.85 for fifth gear and 0.60 for sixth gear,while truck
6-speeds will have granny gear and one overdrive.
I have no problem with current automatics.They are big improvement over the old ones.Most of them are very efficient and much cooler running then old ones with much better fluids used nowdays.The torque converter clutch can
engage in most in second gear and provide you with fuel
economy very close to manual trans.Only problem is some of them are not so good,not only by design but by quality of
parts used inside such as stamped steel planets that can't
handle the loads.There are some bad ones because they had
overdrive added to the former three speed for cost savings
instead of designing overdrive with lock up clutch from scratch.
Bottom line here is:whatever our preferences for transmission or otherwise VW is not interested in fullfilling them.They are more interested in selling cars
to new customers than retaining old ones.For that they will have to pay for sooner or later.
The best we can do is to try to change that by sending them
this poll as well as sending individual letters and e-mails
that we would buy Passat TDI with choice of manual gearbox.
We will not get anything by talking about it.We have to do
it together or forget about it /images/graemlins/grin.gif